Announcements for pwebmac
- 2021-08-13 CTAN update: pwebmac
- 2021-03-18 CTAN update: pwebmac
- 2021-03-10 CTAN update: pwebmac
- 2021-03-02 CTAN Update: pwebmac
- 2021-02-12 CTAN Update: pwebmac
- 2020-09-14 CTAN Update: pwebmac
- 2020-07-09 CTAN update: pwebmac
- 2020-06-28 CTAN Update: pwebmac
- 2020-06-18 CTAN Update: pwebmac
- 2020-06-02 CTAN Update: pwebmac
- 2020-05-30 CTAN Update: pwebmac
- 2020-05-26 New on CTAN: pwebmac
pwebmac – Consolidated WEB macros for DVI and PDF output
The original WEB system by Donald Knuth has the macros webmac.tex that produce DVI output only; for historic reasons, it will never be modified (apart from catastrophic errors). Hàn Thế Thành has modified these macros in his pdfwebmac.tex for PDF output (only) with pdfTeX. Jonathan Kew’s XeTeX has similar macros xewebmac.tex by Khaled Hosny that modify webmac.tex for PDF output; these macros can only be used with a specific “TeX engine” each.
The present pwebmac package integrates these three WEB macro files similar to cwebmac.tex in Silvio Levy’s and Don Knuth’s CWEB system, so pwebmac.tex can be used with “plain TeX”, pdfTeX, and XeTeX alike.
Its initial application is the production of PDF files for all major WEB programs for “TeX and friends” as distributed in TeX Live. For this purpose, the shell script makeall was whipped together; it provides various commandline options and works around several “quirks” in the WEB sources.
WEB programmers who want to use pwebmac.tex instead of the default webmac.tex in their programs have to change the first line in the TeX file created by weave. From there, all depends on the “TeX engine” you use.