Author: Hood Chatham Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Date: 2020-05-09 Description: License: All files have the Latex Project Public License. Files: longdivision.sty longdivisionmanual.tex longdivisionmanual.pdf README.md
Does the long division algorithm and typesets the results. The dividend must be a positive decimal number and the divisor must be a positive integer. Correctly handles repeating decimals, putting a bar over the repeated part of the decimal. Handles dividends up to 20 digits long gracefully (though the typeset result will take up about a page) and dividends between 20 and 60 digits long slightly less gracefully.
Defines macros longdivision and intlongdivision. Each takes two arguments, a dividend and divisor. longdivision keeps dividing until the remainder is zero, or it encounters a repeated remainder. longdivision stops when the dividend stops (though the dividend doesn't have to be an integer).
intlongdivision behaves similarly to the longdiv command defined in longdiv.tex, though I think intlongdivision looks better, and it can handle much larger dividends and divisors (the dividend is only constrained by the size of the page, and the divisor can be up to 8 digits long).
See the package manual for more information. To compile the manual, you need the file pgfmanual-en-macros.tex from the tikz manual. I am not allowed to include this file on the CTAN repositiory due to rules against file duplication, but you can find it on github: https://github.com/hoodmane/longdivision/blob/master/pgfmanual-en-macros.tex
Email me at email@example.com to submit bug reports, request new features, etc. The current development copy is hosted at https://github.com/hoodmane/longdivision.
- An option to control the decimal separator
- Options to specify "digit separator" and "digit group length"
- A "separators in work" option to put spaces rather than punctuation in the work
- Change the division sign in "german style" long division
- Math mode usage used to be inconsistent. Now if not used in math mode, typesetting is consistently not in math mode, if used in math mode it is consistently in math mode.
- Major improvements to typesetting engine should allow changes in the future to be less painful.
- A few deprecated expl3 commands have been replaced (thanks to a pull request from Phelype Oleinik).
- Multiple typesetting styles
- Multiple styles for indicating a repeating decimal
- Typesetting partial long division (as suggested by Cameron McLeman).
- If the "longdivision" command is in math mode, the numbers are typeset in math mode too (reported by Yu-Tsiang Tai).
- The "longdivision" command now can handle macros as arguments (as suggested by Mike Jenck).
Download the contents of this package in one zip archive (150.3k).
longdivision – Typesets long division
This package executes the long division algorithm and typesets the solutions. The dividend must be a positive decimal number and the divisor must be a positive integer. Repeating decimals is handled correctly, putting a bar over the repeated part of the decimal. Dividends up to 20 digits long are handled gracefully (though the typeset result will take up about a page), and dividends between 20 and 60 digits long slightly less gracefully.
The package defines two macros, \longdivision and \intlongdivision. Each takes two arguments, a dividend and a divisor. \longdivision keeps dividing until the remainder is zero, or it encounters a repeated remainder. \intlongdivision stops when the dividend stops (though the dividend doesn’t have to be an integer).
|Licenses||The LaTeX Project Public License|
|Contained in||TeX Live as longdivision|
MiKTeX as longdivision